FUN! – Just Have It!
I saw this a while ago, and man did it hit me hard:
I guess I’m an “old soul” – or seriously don’t belong in this time, I don’t know which. My soul LONGS for peaceful and slow days (although i work really well under short-term craziness too). Days filled with appointments and schedules and this and that don’t really interest me on a day to day basis. Even things that are meant to be fun can be crazy and hectic (think Disney World). I long for the days when friends did more than like your status on facebook and when neighbors actually knew your name. (-We’re the weird neighbors that move in and then take gifts to the other neighbors.)
Don’t get me wrong, I like my hair dryer and my internet and some of the people I’ve met online who I wouldn’t have otherwise because they live across the world. I like that I can look up anything I want to know. But, sometimes our blessings can be our curses…if we let them.
Sometimes our good intentions just create a busy-ness and it all creeps into our daily lives…and it cloaks us and our families, and the more we do the unhappier we are.
Years ago, we intentionally stepped out of the insane “rat race” – of trying to make it to the top (wherever that is!). Instead, we pursue the provisions and blessings God has for us and GRATITUDE.
Part of that has been in our journey to be more intentional with our kiddos. It’s always a work in progress. I hope it always will be, I pray we never become complacent.
I received a tip a long time ago about dates in your marriage – it included creating a jar of date ideas to choose from (like a menu!) and when you run out of ideas (or feel particularly indecisive), you just choose and DO IT.
We thought it’d be fun to create something similar to the one we created for our marriage for activities with the kids!
Here are some of the fun ideas we have:
- Camp in the backyard with campfire, burgers, s’mores, movie/story-telling
- mini golf
- visit the planetarium
- pumpkin patch and corn maze
- fishing (on my parent’s dock)
- ride bikes in the neighborhood
- make bird feeders together
- bleach t-shirt designs (basically you take colored shirts and make a template that you adhere to shirts and spray with bleach water…fun!)
- nature bracelets – duct tape around their wrists with sticky side up and have them walk around and find fun things to stick to it!
- make super giant bubbles and bubble wands
- visit the homeplace
- see a matinee
- see a play
- dance in the warm (summer) rain – a favorite!!
- board games
- let girls dress up and put on a play
- have a cupcake decorating contest
- make an outdoor (or indoor!) obstacle course!
- go on a treasure/scavenger hunt – use pirate’s maps too!
- write a book and illustrate it together!!
- make mini homemade pizzas together!
- Go on an alphabet tour – bring cameras and a notebook and take photos of things that begin with A, B, C, etc.
Another favorite thing for us is to have THEME WEEKS where we concentrate on a specific theme for a week. For example, Rora LOVES trains right now. So, one week we borrowed a stack of books about trains from the library and they wore conductor hats as we read them. We also visited a train museum where they got whistles, hats, and had a tour of all things TRAINS! They played with an extensive model train set up and we played train games and went around town pretending our van was a train. We scoured town for trains on the move and would sit and watch them and talk about different kinds of trains. (We have plans to surprise Rora in the spring with a train RIDE for her birthday but SHHH! Don’t tell her!)
So, I’d love to know…what are some of your favorite activities to do with your kids? How do you have intentional time with your family? And ideas you can share with us?