Stepping Out In Faith
“Once our eyes are opened, we can’t pretend we do not know what to do.
God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that
we know and holds us responsible to act.” –Proverbs 24:12
Dearest family and friends,
A little while ago, our family began praying that we could be more intentional – that we could be less subdued in our Christian walk. We prayed that God would give us eyes to see and ears to hear and that our hearts would break for what breaks His.
Our prayers were answered. We have been shown something that we can no longer ignore. –And, with that said….We are so excited to announce that we have been called to adoption in our family. Adoption isn’t a “new” topic for us. It’s been something that was planted as a tiny seed early in Steven and my relationship, but has steadily been growing as God has molded us and readied us for this next grand adventure. After much research and prayer, we feel our hearts are being tugged by Ethiopia.
• One in six children die before their fifth birthday
• 44% of the population of Ethiopia is under 15 years old
• 60% of children in Ethiopia are stunted because of malnutrition
• The median age in Ethiopia is 17.8 years
• 1.5 million people are infected with AIDS (6th highest in the world)
• 720,000 children have been orphaned by AIDS alone, and there are 4.6 million orphans in Ethiopia.
• Per capita, Ethiopia receives less aid than any country in Africa
• In the 90s the population (3%) grew faster than food production (2.2%)
• Drought struck the country from 2000-2002 (first year no crops, second year no seeds, third year no animals)
• Half the children in Ethiopia will never attend school. 88% will never attend secondary school.
• Coffee prices (Ethiopia’s only major export) fell 40-60% from 1998-2002.
• Ethiopia’s doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000.
• In 1993, after 30 long years of war, Eritrea broke from Ethiopia and became an independent nation leaving Ethiopia landlocked without any major seafaring ports.
We Need You.
This decision does not come lightly, nor without much prayer from ourselves and others. However, there is one thing we cannot escape – regardless of whether we could know what we know and still choose to continue looking the other way … children will still needlessly die. And, children will still need homes with loving families who will raise them up with love and faith and hope.
“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress.” –James 1:27
We know the road ahead of us will be a long one. –One that will humble us, require great faith, and possibly ask more of us than we believe we have. But, we are committed to what we’ve been called to do – we are committed to a child we have never yet met.
And here is where we need you…
Giving this child a forever home will require approximately $30,000 in fees for the adoption process. While this number is large, we know our God is even BIGGER. We ask that you please:
1. Pray to see if God is leading you to help us financially raise money to give a sweet orphan a forever home.
2. And, if you do not feel God is leading you to give financially (and even if you do..), we ask that you please pray for our family and this long journey ahead of us.
3. Please, please pray for this child – pray for their safety and for their health.
(And if you were to choose just one thing of all of these…please let it be the last one.)
With Much Love,
The Sanders Family